Building and scaling a product team is a challenge that every successful product company faces. We tackled this in a few steps, with lots of audience participation:
- When and how does a startup hire its first product manager?
- Division of labor: how do we grow from one to three to many product folks?
- End-to-end management of product elements/features, or product owner and business owner roles?
- How big is too big?
This was an interactive/collaborative session, with attendees invited to ‘call BS’ on easy answers. We also gave away a few books. Campaign Monitor provided great food and beautiful views of Sydney from their 38th floor offices.
Brainmates‘ Jen Marshall created three posts capturing long portions of the discussion:
- Why we need Product Management
- A guide to hiring your first Product Manager for startups
- How to structure Product Management teams
About Brainmates: Founded in 2004, Brainmates provides professional Product Management and Marketing training and consulting throughout Australia. Using repeatable and flexible frameworks, Brainmates helps clients deliver products to market that customers love.