Mike Belsito of Product Collective hosted this half-hour live Q&A about product management organizations and careers. This is a lead-up to September’s INDUSTRY conference in Cleveland, where I will have a talk and workshop on “Moving Up into a Product Leadership Role”
We talked about:
- How managing products is different from managing product teams
- Skill sets for Product Leaders (and whether an MBA is required)
- Can senior product managers keep doing what they love, or do they naturally get promoted?
- Ways to prepare for (and signal interest in) product leadership roles
- Things to do — and not do — in your first weeks as a product leader
Interest folks may also want to register for the INDUSTRY conference (Sept 23-25) and sign up for my product leadership/career planning workshop.