Jay Stansell has been on a European podcast tour: meeting and recording product leaders in Cardiff, London, Copenhagen, Berlin, Munich and Zurich — partly to raise funds supporting bushfire restoration in Australia after their massive fires. Jay generously let me join remotely from San Francisco.
A recording of the podcast is here. We had a freewheeling conversation that included some challenging talk about understanding C-level attitudes:
- 03:03 London quiz
- 08:35 Typical day of the life of the execs
- 12:13 Priorities and the way of thinking of execs
- 15:26 Should execs know users needs?
- 18:22 Why do some execs believe that they know what users want, in detail?
- 25:37 What do you need to do to convince execs that you know the users needs
- 29:51 Product people around the big kids table
- 31:38 How to change approach for the exec to understand users’ needs
- 36:10 Product managers and VPs stepping into Board position
- 37:23 What to let go and what to hang on to